Securing the Crime Scene first responders should guarantee the safety of all the people at the crime scene further as defend the integrity of the proof. Once inbound at the location, the first responders should move to the scene of the incident and establish the victim devices, networks, so on and mark a fringe.
Some of the best practices to secure the crime scene include:
• Follow customary procedures and policies of the legal authority whereas securing the scene
• Make positive that the scene is safe for the res-ponders
• Verify the sort of the incident
• Secure all electronic devices, as well as personal or moveable devices
• Verify any information that’s related to the offence
• Remove all persons from the crime scene or the world containing proof
• Do not permit a person to access the scene or electronic devices
• Deny any provide of facilitate or technical help
• Isolate alternative persons who area unit gift at the scene
• Locate and facilitate the victim
• Transmit further flash messages to alternative responding units
• Request further facilitate at the scene if required
• Establish a security perimeter to check if the offenders area unit still gift at the crime scene space
• Protect and preserve the proof that’s in danger of being simply lost
• Protect destructible knowledge (e.g., pagers and caller ID boxes) physically and electronically
• Make positive that the devices that contain destructible knowledge area unit secured, documented, and photographed
• Find phone lines that area unit connected to devices like modems and caller ID boxes
• Document, disconnect, and label phone lines and network cables
• Observe the present state of affairs at the scene and record observations
• Protect physical proof or hidden fingerprints that will be found on keyboards, mice, diskettes, and DVDs.
Related Product:- EC-Council Certified Incident Handler | ECIH v2
Collecting Incident info
Adhering to division policies and applicable laws, the primary responders should collect the subsequent info regarding the victim devices and connected systems:
• Actual holders or users of any electronic devices gift at the crime scene
• Web mail and social networking web site account info
• Usernames and web service suppliers
• Passwords needed to access the system, software, or data
• Purpose of victimization the system
• Automatic applications in use
• Any offsite knowledge storage
• Unique security schemes or harmful devices
• Documents description installation of a hardware or code on the system
• Any offsite knowledge storage
The forensic team must conduct preliminary interviews to collect a lot of proof. As a locality of their preliminary investigation, the primary responders should perform the subsequent steps to collect info regarding the person’s gift at the crime scene:
• Identify the persons gift at the crime scene, conduct individual interviews, and note everyone’s physical position and his or her reason for being there
• As a part of the investigation method, confirm if the incident was a criminal act, violation of policies, or accident
• If the suspect is a gift, raise queries that are compliant with the relevant human resources or legislative pointers with reference to the jurisdiction
• During associate initial interview, suspects are usually started out guard, having been given very little time to form a false story. this implies that they’re going to usually answer queries like, “What are the passwords for the account?” honestly
• If the computer user is a gift at the time of the initial interview, gather necessary info like the amount of systems concerned, persons related to an account, and therefore the relevant passwords
• A person should take complete custody of the physical proof for its safety and security
• Whenever doable, proof should be secured in such the simplest way that solely someone with complete authority is allowed access.
Documenting the Electronic Crime Scene
Documentation of the electronic crime scene may be a continuous method throughout the investigation that produces a permanent record of the scene. Documentation of the electronic crime scene is important to take care of a record of all the rhetorical investigation processes applied to spot, extract, analyze, and preserve the proof. the primary responders should document the scene thoroughly and comprehensively. they need to label all the offered proof and build an inventory with details, as well as the location of the crime, standing of the system, connected network devices, storage media, smartphones, mobile phones, PDAs, internet, and network access.
Also Read:- Overview of Digital evidence
The document can facilitate to trace the serial numbers or alternative identifiers of procured devices. Documenting conjointly includes taking images, video, notes, and sketches of the scene so as to recreate it later.
The points to think about whereas documenting the electronic crime scene are:
• Document the physical crime scene, noting the position of the mouse and therefore the location of the weather found close to the system
• Document details of any connected, troublesome to seek out electronic parts
• Record the state of the pc system, digital storage media, electronic devices, and certain proof, as well as power standing of the pc
• Take a photograph of the pc monitor’s screen and write notes on what you have got seen on the screen
Securing the crime scene as important as evidence because every proof come under the crime scene that is why it’s very important to secure that crime scene. Infosavvy give training forensic investigation module in ECIH v2 Training and certification by EC-Council in Bangalore Location.
Questions related to this topic
- What are the seven steps of a crime scene investigation?
- What is the best method of documentation for recording overall observations at a crime scene?
- What is the process of traditional crime scene evidence?
- How do you secure a scene collect evidence package it transport it and store it?
Top Incident Handling Knowledge
- What is an Information Security Incident?
- Top 10 Most Common Types of Cyber Attacks
- Competitive Intelligence
- What is Evidence Collection?
- Variety of important anti-forensic techniques
- Enhancing Incident Response by Establishing SOPs
- Threat Intelligence Informed Risk Management
- An Introduction of Computer Forensics
- Overview of Digital evidence
- Forensics Investigation method of Computer
- Forensic Readiness planning
- The Principles of Digital Evidence Collection
- Securing the Crime Scene
- Forensic Readiness an Overview
- Securing the Evidence
- Life Cycle of forensics information in the system
- Forensic Investigation Analysis
This Blog Article is posted by
Infosavvy, 2nd Floor, Sai Niketan, Chandavalkar Road Opp. Gora Gandhi Hotel, Above Jumbo King, beside Speakwell Institute, Borivali West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400092
Contact us – www.info-savvy.com