What is Information Security & types of Security policies form the foundation of a security infrastructure. Data security policy defines the fundamental security needs and rules to be implemented so as to protect and secure organization’s data systems. While not them, it’s attainable} to protect the corporate from possible lawsuits, lost revenue, and bad publicity, to not mention the fundamental security attacks.
A security policy could be a high-level document or set of documents that describes, in detail, the safety controls to implement in order to protect the corporate. It maintains confidentiality, availability, integrity, and asset values. A security policy also protects the corporate from threats like unauthorized access, theft, fraud, vandalism, fire, natural disasters, technical failures, and accidental damage. Additionally, it protects against cyber-attack, malicious threats, international criminal activity foreign intelligence activities, and terrorism.
Policies are not technology specific and accomplish 3 things;
• They reduce or eliminate legal liability of employees and third parties.
• They protect confidential and proprietary data from theft, misuse, unauthorized disclosure, or modification.
• They forestall stage of the company’s computing resources.
What is Information Security & types of Security policies All security policies should documented properly and that they should focus on the security of all departments in a company. Management should take into consideration the areas in which security is most significant, and prioritize its actions accordingly, however it’s important to appear into every department for doable security breaches and ways that to safeguard against them.
The following data security systems in a company would possibly need a lot of attention in terms of security:
• Encryption mechanisms – Antivirus systems
• Access control devices – web sites
• Authentication systems – Gateways
• Firewalls – Routers and switches
Related Product:- ISO 27001 Lead Auditor Training And Certification ISMS
There are 2 types of security policies: technical security and administrative security policies. Technical security policies describe the configuration of the technology for convenient use; body security policies address however all persons should behave. All workers should conform to and sign each the policies.
In a company the high-level management is responsible for the implementation of the organization’s security policies. High-level officers concerned within the implementation of the policies embody the following:
- Director of data Security
- Chief Security Officer
The following are the goals of security policies:
- To maintain an outline for the management and administration of network security
- To protect an organization’s computing resources
- To eliminate legal liabilities arising from workers or third parties
- To prevent wastage of company’s computing resources
- To prevent unauthorized modifications of the data
- To scale back risks caused by illegal use of the system resource
- To differentiate the user’s access rights
- To protect confidential, proprietary data from theft, misuse, and unauthorized disclosure
Also Read:- Information Security of Threat
Types of Security Policies
A security policy is a document that contains data about the way the company plans to protect its data assets from known and unknown threats. These policies help to keep up the confidentially, availability, and integrity of data. The four major forms of security policy are as following:
This policy doesn’t impose any restrictions on the usage of system resources. for example, with a promiscuous net policy, there’s no restriction on net access. A user will access any web site, transfer any application, and access a laptop or a network from a foreign location. whereas this may be helpful in company businesses wherever people that travel or work branch offices need to access the structure networks, several malware, virus, and Trojan threats are present on the internet and because of free net access, this malware will return as attachments while not the data of the user. Network directors should be very alert whereas selecting this kind of policy.
Policy begins wide-open and only the known dangerous services/attacks or behaviors are blocked. for instance, in a very permissive net policy, the bulk of net traffic is accepted, however many proverbial dangerous services and attacks square measure blocked. as a result of solely proverbial attacks and exploits are blocked, it’s not possible for directors to stay up with current exploits. directors are perpetually enjoying catch-up with new attacks and exploits. This policy ought to be updated often to be effective.
A prudent policy starts with all the services blocked. The administrator permits safe and necessary services singly. It logs everything, like system and network activities. It provides most security whereas permitting only proverbial however necessary dangers.
A paranoid policy forbids everything. There’s a strict restriction on all use of company computers, whether or not it’s system usage or network usage. There’s either no net association or severely restricted net usage. Because of these to a fault severe restrictions, users typically try and notice ways that around them.
Examples of Security Policies:
Given below square measure samples of security policies that organizations use worldwide to secure their assets and vital resources.
Access management Policy:
Access management policy outlines procedures that facilitate in protective the structure resources and also the rules that management access to them. It permits organizations to trace their sets.
A remote-access policy contains a collection of rules that define authorized connections. It defines who will have remote access, the access medium and remote access security controls. This policy is critical in larger organizations during which networks are geographically unfold, and people during which employees work from home.
A firewall-management policy defines a standard to handle application traffic, like net or e-mail. This policy describes the way to manage, monitor, protect, and update firewalls within the organization. It identifies network applications, vulnerabilities related to applications, and creates an application-traffic matrix showing protection strategies.
A network-connection policy defines the set of rules for secure network connectivity, including standards for configuring and extending any part of the network, policies related to private networks, and detailed information about the devices attached to the network. It protects against unauthorized and unprotected connections that allow hackers to enter into the organization’s network and affect data integrity and system integrity. It permits only authorized persons and devices to connect to the network and defines who can install new resources on the network, as well as approve the installation of new devices, and document network changes, etc.
Questions related to this topic
- What types of things would you suggest to a manager be included in a network access policy?
- What are the three types of security policies?
- What do organizational BYOD bring your own device policies typically include?
- What are security policies and procedures?
- What is Information Security & types of Security policies?
Cyber Security Related Things
- Top Cyber security Certifications of 2020 India
- Concept of Security, Cyber Space & Cyber Crime
- 10 Steps to Cyber Security
- Climbing the Cyber Security Certification Ladder
- Top 5 Key Elements of an Information Security
- Essential Terminology in Cyber security
- Top categories which includes in Information Warfare
- What is Defense in Depth? & How Defense in depth Works
- Information Security Incidents
- What is Information Security & types of Security policies
- Overview of Cyber security Frameworks
- 9 Tips for Top Data Backup Strategy
- What is Cyber Kill Chain? and it’s 7 Phases
- A Need for Tactics, Techniques & Procedures
- An Overview of knowledge Acquisition
- Business Needs and Requirements
- What is Pyramid of Pain ? & It’s types
- Top IT Management Certifications of 2020 to Impress Recruiters
- Best Cyber security career 2020 road map for IT Professionals
- 15 Benefits Of Security Certifications to Upgrade Career Path 2020
- 6 Things You Should know About Social Engineering
This Blog Article is posted by
Infosavvy, 2nd Floor, Sai Niketan, Chandavalkar Road Opp. Gora Gandhi Hotel, Above Jumbo King, beside Speakwell Institute, Borivali West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400092
Contact us – www.info-savvy.com